Authenticity and a natural flair are the hallmarks of the five original South Tyrolean Christmas markets. Since 2014 the Christmas markets on the five-star route have been focusing on their green credentials.
Together with the ecological Ökoinstitut South Tyrol the organisers are working towards making the period of Advent in South Tyrol more ecological and sustainable and to transforming the original South Tyrolean Christmas markets into a certified Green Event. Important factors are the economical use of resources, environment-friendly mobility, waste management and the use of regional and seasonal products. Some of the decoration is provided by schools, sheltered workshops and local community gardeners.
Furthermore, the Christmas markets sell predominantly traditional and innovative crafts. This is complemented by workshops offering hands-on sessions in traditional crafts such as felting and binding an advent wreath.
Visitors, too, can contribute toward the protection of the environment by using environment-friendly forms of travel to get to the Christmas markets, exploring the markets using the Mobilcard
and staying overnight in one of the BrixenCard partner companies
. The most important Green Event measures at the Bressanone Christmas market are:
- Catering: seasonal, regional, vegetarian, use of organic ingredients
- Use of reusable dishes
- No drinks cans
- Well organised waste management (waste prevention, waste separation)
- Efficient use of energy
- Environment-friendly mobility: shuttle buses, information on environment-friendly travel
- Brochure: use of FSC paper, climate neutral print
- Employees of the event are informed in advance about the “Green Event” initiative, included in the planning (workshop, information leaflet etc.) and asked to implement the measures.
Your opinion is important to us. If you have any feedback on the Green Event organization of the Christmas market, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org