Matteo Oliva & Mariano De Tassis: Wave of freedom, 2019
After the Eisack three years ago had once again devastated some parts of the town, in 1760 Brixen built an arcade with the sandstone statue of Prague’s water protection patron John of Nepomuk with his two angels. This was originally installed above the stairs that led from Eisackdamm to the water and was mostly used by laundresses. At that time the statues were still facing the White Tower.
Only in the course of the regulation of Eisack the monument was moved a few meters into the city to its present location where it is turned to the Eisack. As part of the Water Light Festival, the so called “Eagle Bridge” (Adlersbrücke) is flooded with blue light by the artist Matteo. His artwork recalls a part of Brixen’s history and at the same time it points out the unbridled power of water and the importance of the regulation of Eisack.