Philosophy of the Christmas Market
REGIONAL, AUTHENTIC, SUSTAINABLE
The five Original South Tyrolean Christmas Markets shine under a green star: the market in Brixen only radiates an authentic atmosphere, but is also designated as a "Green Event". Closeness to nature and sustainability distinguish it. In addition to typical Christmas decorations, handmade products made of wood, glass or ceramics from traditional or innovative craftsmanship are offered for sale. The many food and speciality huts entice visitors with a wide selection of seasonal dishes made from regional products. In addition, the Original South Tyrolean Christmas Markets place particular emphasis on the economical use of resources, efficient waste management and sustainable mobility management. You too can reach the Christmas Markets comfortably and in an environmentally friendly way by bus and train.
Inclusion, institutions & upcycling
In Brixen, the demand for quality and values is not limited to the Christmas market alone - the associated supporting programme has also been put together with a great deal of care and with the involvement of municipal organisations and associations.
- The pictures of the Advent calendar are designed by people with disabilities in the Wunderbar - Seeburg workshop.
- Selected products from the concept store WiaNui upcycled living can be purchased at the information stand. Some of the products are made from old tarpaulins from Brixen Tourismus.
- Candle making will be offered by the Waldorf School as part of the St. Lucia holiday.
- The programme in the town library is organised in cooperation with the town library, the OEW (Organisation for a Solidary World) and the concept store WiaNui upcycled living.
- In addition to South Tyrolean bands, ensembles and choirs, ensembles from the Music School, the Social Sciences High School and the Free University of Bolzano will also be part of the musical supporting programme
- Free traditional South Tyrolean snacks at the fireplace
- Christmas biscuit baking for children at the Naturbackstube Profanter
- The Christmas market cup will be designed by a Bressanone artist
Travelling with a green footprint
Take advantage of the possibility to travel to Bressanone by public transport. The Bressanone Christmas Market is easy and convenient to reach by train. The train station is only a few minutes' walk from the old town. Information according to country of origin:
For those travelling by Deutsche Bahn, there is a discount of 2€ on the day price if you buy a ticket for "Colors. A Homage to Peace" ticket on site in Bressanone and show the ticket, there is a discount of 2€ on the daily price.
Thanks to the advantages of the BrixenCard and the well-functioning local mobility system, using public transport in Brixen and the surrounding area as well as in South Tyrol is also very easy.
Our measures to reduce the event's ecological footprint
The Original South Tyrolean Christmas Markets engage since over 10 years to reduce the event's ecological footprint. Here are some measures we implement:
- Careful waste separation and waste avoidance where possible
- Plastic-free event
- Offer vegetarian dishes and dishes that are largely prepared from regional, organic, seasonal and Fairtrade products
- Reusable tableware
- Recycled paper is used instead of virgin fibre paper
- Avoidance of aluminium portion packaging and beverage cans
- Economical use of electricity and water